Monday, December 21, 2009

12.21.09 Daily Proverb - Do The Right Thing...

Read Proverbs 21 today...it's a good one. Overall. Kinda wordy and cryptic, but I liked it.
Verses 2 and 3 stuck out to me.

"Every way of a man is right in his own eyes: but the Lord pondereth the hearts. To do justice and judgement is more acceptable to the Lord than sacrifice."

So, basically...we all think we are right. We think we are correct. We think that what we do is okay. And it kinda reminds me of the line from The Talented Mr. Ripley where he says, "Nobody thinks they are a bad person." And it's true. Everyone makes excuses for the things they do, or don't do...what they say, who they hurt, cheat, or offend. I was responding, retaliating, getting them back, etc. We all think we are right. Even me.

3rd Verse mentions just do the right thing because it is better than sacrifice. Which is kinda common sense. If you do the right thing, you don't have to ask for forgiveness. Duh.

It's a good rule of thumb to live by. I've used so many different variations of this in my quirky sayings. But basically, don't do stuff to feel bad about. Don't feel guilty by not doing things to feel guilty about. Don't screw someone over, and you won't have to apologize or get forgiveness.

Peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment