Thursday, December 24, 2009

So okay…I am catching up on tons of stuff. Spending time with loved ones, missing my family A LOT this Christmas (both blood and family of choice), and feeling the need to write. It’s been a good week and there has been tons happening. Got my Proverbs and Buffy Blog insights done. Duh…you see them. I mean, I guess you see them. If you read this…anyone out there reading this?? I am excited-ish about Christmas. I was thinking today while everyone was rushing around that I will be separated from family this holiday season. And Mo is in Ohio (great for her, sucks for her loved ones here…sniff). On a bitchier note, I am glad that it is almost over. Yes, the Christmas music. I heard “Blue Christmas” with cats meowing. Yes, you read that correctly. Cats. Meowing.

On a more sweet note, I loved…LOVED…Christmas when I was little. My mom and dad used to make it very magical. I remember how we would travel to my grandparents’ houses. And we would spend Christmas eve with my maternal grandparents and Christmas Day with my paternal grandparents. One that I definitely remember was when I was so small…I went to bed and my mom woke me up to let me know Santa had come, open a present and then go back to bed. Awesomeness. Good times. Who knows, maybe I’ll get a Christmas wish and get to see some family this Christmas, too!

I have been cooking a lot lately…and I was super excited to try this recipe. Well, I liked the recipe on paper. And, let me say…the recipe was good…and it was delicious. De-lic-ious. But it’s…uh…sweeter than I wanted. So, I am working on revising it. It requires tweaking. Here is the one I did.

Stuffed Acorn Squash
-2 acorn squash
-2 scraped carrots, grated (just regular organic carrots and grate them on a normal cheese grater. You can dice them too….but texture-wise, I prefer the grated.)
-8oz crushed pinapple (if canned, use water packed OR preferably in UNsweetened pineapple juice. Now, I am not a total foodie-snob, but I think it’s cool too if you have access to a pineapple and can cut up 1 cup and crush it in a mortar and pestle. It’s fresh. Amazing.)
-2 tablespoons dried white raisins (if you can’t find them-because they are hard to find-use raisins.)
-¼ teaspoon ground ginger (fresh, ground or crushed in a M&P, or you can “zest” them. I like the zest because it gives a more solid ginger flavor)

Cut the squash in half, scoop out the seeds, and place the squash halves in a baking pan.
Combine the grated carrots, pineapple, raisins, and ginger. Mix and fold together and spoon the mixture into the squash cavities.
Bake in a 350 degree oven for 30 minutes, or until squash are tender.

I want a heartier mix for my next try with this…or maybe a diff squash. I am thinking a starch like a rice or quinoa and some protein with like a rice/beans/meat filling to offset the squash. We’ll see. More on that later…

Yawn…why am I getting so sleepy??? Anyway, I had a good day at work. It was funny in some parts, and they DID change the router connection while I was trying to count down and close; but that is a mistake I don’t think will be made again. Duh…router and connectivity change, it WILL make my connection to the server database go down. D. U. H. Now, I was gonna cover the Thursday shift at DnJ for Holly, but I got X-mas blindsided and am spending some xmas cheer time with loved ones! Good times.

I am also getting pretty excited/nervous about the new year! Boot camp is looming…gonna be SICK! Totally organic, but also the workouts…the food and the detox/supplements are gonna be super good. For people that followed me getting healthy and working out on the first one…this is gonna make that look like child’s play. Back to no caffiene, sugar, salt, alcohol, cigs...Ugh…Excited...but I am getting nervous about it!

No comments:

Post a Comment