2 small carrots, chopped
3 stalks of celery, chopped
1 large green pepper, chopped
1/2 head cabbage, chopped
1 28oz can whole-packed tomatos, chopped, with juice
3 cups canned tomato juice (mix with water if thinner soup is desired)
1 15oz can of salsa (or homemade salsa...it's good too!)
3 cups of Brown Rice, half cooked
Seasonings: Bay Leaf, Garlic Powder, Oregano, Chili Powder, Celery Seed
- Fresh Veggies are ground to provide a flavor base for the soup. ;)
- Put the onion, carrots, celery, green pepper, and cabbage in a blender and grind it up. Add some tomato juice in as you go to make the grinding easier.
- Transfer the ground veggies to a soup pot.
- Add the rest of the tomato juice, canned tomatos(including juice), and salsa to the soup pot.
- Bring the contents to a boil and then simmer gently for about 15 minutes.
- Add the partially cooked rice and seasonings(to taste) and simmer gently for 15 minutes.
- Check the consistency of the soup, and add more tomato juice or water to suit your preference.
This makes about 16 servings. And the soup is amazing! Enjoy.